Thursday, October 2, 2008

Crest "Night-time" Toothpaste

This rant is not really related to e-marketing, rather just a marketing technique I picked up on while picking up toothpaste at Safeway a couple of days ago. Crest a dominate player in the toothpaste category, one thing the company is very good at is taking up large amounts of shelf space in stores. One of primary ways they do this is to have many different brand extensions all with little to no actually differences. The type that I normally buy is Crest Pro-Health, it is a "complete" toothpaste, though I'm sure its the same as every other one they sell. Anyway, at the store I noticed that Crest now has a night-time version of my toothpaste. As I began looking at the box I wondered how exactly is one toothpaste better at night than the other. After closely examining the box I began to realize that everything was exactly the same between the day and night-time toothpaste. Then I saw it! The Crest Night-time toothpaste provides a "unique night-time flavour." Night-time flavour! The exercise made me think of the thin lines we as marketers walk between differentiating, persuading, and downright misleading the consumer. The front of the packaging would have you believe the toothpastes are different in function, when in reality the only difference is flavour. Just something to think about.

No comments: